Corporate events, long hailed as an essential tool for team bonding and employee morale, often leave participants feeling underwhelmed. Why? Traditional corporate events, whether that be for clients or internal stakeholders, tend to revolve around sports and drinking activities, alienating individuals who may not be interested or able to partake.
Now, before we start, I want you to know that I love a glass of wine as much as the next person. However, I also know that I have a whole bunch of friends abstaining from alcohol for health or personal reasons. In fact, since 2005, alcohol consumption has been on the decline with around 20% of adults not drinking any alcohol in the last 12 months. So why then are we choosing to alienate a fifth of our team mates by organising solely beer-centric activities for staff and clients alike?
And when we’re not organising a piss up down the pub, it seems that we’re opting for football stadia, golf tournaments, and formula one track days as alternatives. These kinds of activities are hardly appealing to people outside of the pale stale male category. And they still end up in the pub anyway. 🤦♀️
I imagine the majority of meetings about corporate events go something along these lines.
So let’s explore why many corporate events are less than stellar and how cyber escape rooms (handily, like the ones we provide!!) could offer a refreshing alternative that’s inclusive and engaging for everyone.
the pitfalls of traditional corporate events.
There are a number of reasons why traditional corporate events might not be seen as that morale boosting, super fun afternoon or evening out that you’d envisaged. Let’s take a look at some of them:
- Exclusivity: Corporate events focusing on sports and alcohol consumption can be inherently exclusive by nature. As we’ve already mentioned, not everyone enjoys these types of activities. In an era where equity, diversity and inclusion is at the forefront of conversations in the corporate sphere, we should be considering how we can apply these tenets to every element of our corporate interactions.
- Limited Interpersonal Engagement: Sporting events often require spectators to sit on the sidelines, whilst alcohol-centric gatherings can lead to social isolation for non-drinkers, or those who prefer a quieter environment. A lack of active participation and interaction amongst team members can often feel contrary to an event’s stated goals of bringing people together.
- Lack of Meaningful Interaction: Traditional corporate events rarely provide opportunities for meaningful interaction that’s centred on the company’s industry. Unless you work in the automotive sector, track racing is unlikely to be relevant to your industry. And whilst food and drink can bring everyone together, it shouldn’t be the sole focus for an event.
cyber escape rooms: the antidote to lacklustre corporate events.
Our cyber escape rooms were originally developed to disrupt the often unengaging security awareness training market. How then, I hear you ask, could they possibly have anything to do with corporate events?! Well, as an interactive, team-centric activity that’s scalable and portable, they actually provide a brilliant way of bringing teams together that supports learning about cyber security in an engaging manner.
In terms of corporate events, cyber escape rooms promote:
- Inclusivity: escape rooms are inherently inclusive, accommodating participants of all ages, physical abilities, and interests. Whether you’re brand new to the concept or an avid puzzle enthusiast, every single person can contribute to the team’s success in an escape room.
- Appreciation of Skillsets: Because everyone in the team needs to participate in order to make the game a success, team members become appreciative of other people’s skillsets. Identifying strengths and weaknesses within a team and matching those up to relevant puzzles helps us to gain a deeper appreciation for each other’s strengths. It also provides a confidence boost for individuals contributing to the wider team’s success.
- Active Participation: You can’t observe an escape room, you need to be actively engaged in it. Each member of the team plays a crucial role in solving puzzles and achieving the common goal of getting to the end of the game. This encourages collaboration, communication, and camaraderie amongst teams.
- Critical Thinking: Cyber escape rooms are an intellectual challenge, stimulating players’ minds with puzzles, riddles, and mysteries that require creative problem solving and critical thinking. These challenges foster intellectual growth and teamwork skills, which can be used outside of the escape room activity in a professional setting.
how cyber escape rooms improve corporate events.
Let’s just reiterate some of those benefits we can get from running a cyber escape room activity as part of a corporate event:
Cyber escape rooms are designed to encourage teamwork. Participants must work together to solve puzzles, share ideas, and communicate effectively. These skills are directly transferable to the workplace, enhancing collaboration among team members.
Cyber escape rooms present complex puzzles that require creative problem-solving. By facing these challenges together, teams develop problem-solving skills that can be applied to real-world work situations.
Effective communication is essential in cyber escape rooms. Teams must listen to each other, share information, and provide clear instructions. Improved communication within the game can lead to better communication in the office.
fun and engagement.
Cyber escape rooms are inherently fun and engaging, providing an enjoyable experience for everyone involved. Participants leave with a sense of accomplishment and a shared adventure to remember.
And let’s not forget the added bonus of a cyber escape room being a cyber-centric activity. If you’re in the cyber industry, then they’re a great way of having some fun with your whole team (i.e. including the non-technical people amongst you). And if you’re not in cyber, well then why not combine security awareness training and an engaging event and kill two birds with one stone?!
Traditional corporate events often miss the mark by focusing on sports and drinking, leaving many employees feeling excluded and disengaged. Cyber escape rooms provide a fantastic alternative that promotes inclusivity, active participation, and meaningful interaction.
By choosing escape rooms for your next corporate event, you can foster teamwork, problem-solving skills, and a sense of unity among your team members. It’s time to break free from the dull routine and embrace a corporate event that everyone can enjoy and benefit from. Escape the ordinary and embark on an adventure that truly brings your team together.
get more content like this.
Drop your details in this form and keep on top of the latest news and exciting info from the team here at the cyber escape room co.